Tourist claims used tampon found in steak


MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

Axel Sanz-Claus, a tourist from Germany, was enjoying a perfect visit to New York City until his dinner Friday night. He ordered steak and spinach from the Bull and Bear Steak House at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Sanz-Claus spoke exclusively to WABC-New York claiming that hidden in his food was a blood-soaked tampon.

"I had it in my mouth, chewed it and nearly swallowed it," said Sanz-Claus. "This is so disgusting, I've felt sick ever since."

The diner says he rinsed his mouth with brandy and then went to the bathroom to vomit. He says the hotel then called an ambulance. He claims the doctor in the emergency room cut the object in half and confirmed it was a used tampon. New York Presbyterian confirmed he was treated at the hospital.

Sanz-Claus says he has not been able to sleep or eat since the episode.

The thought of putting such an object in one's mouth is repulsive enough, but the tourist now fears he has made himself vulnerable to disease.

He was tested for hepatitis at the hospital and was told to be tested for AIDS in two months.

The Waldorf-Astoria which owns and manages the restaurant, released the following statement: "We are conducting an internal investigation, but have reason to believe that the circumstances surrounding this incident are highly suspicious. At this time we are not at liberty to provide any additional details."

Story credit: WABC-New York

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.