It is an area he had access to for some time. Police began searching the area Sunday for human remains.
RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
It is an area he has had access to for some time. Police began searching the area Sunday for human remains.
"I'm going to confirm those are cadaver dogs. We're going to have them go through the backyard," Jimmy Lee with the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department told reporters Sunday.
Dogs and officers intensively searched the Antioch backyard where /*Garrido*/ is accused of holding /*Dugard*/ prisoner for 18 years. A next door neighbor's yard was also cordoned off as a crime scene. Investigators set up tents between a red shed and corrugated tin-roofed barn as they mowed down thick weeds.
A neighbor who wants to remain anonymous told ABC7 News Sunday that between 2003 and 2006 the property was vacant, and that the owner gave Garrido keys to the barn, the vehicles, and the house.
"Philip Garrido had access to that property. He used that property and it looks like he lived on that property in a shed. So, we know he was there and that is why primarily, we're taking a close look at that property," Lee said.
That neighbor also told ABC7 news about a memory that haunts her.
"I heard girls crying," she said. "It's a sick, sick feeling to know you heard that and it was right there, and you didn't do a damn thing."
The neighbor said there were frequent bonfires in Garrido's yard and that when they reported the fires to authorities, Garrido showed up on their front porch yelling and threatening them.
Garrido and his wife Nancy are accused of kidnapping 11-year-old /*Jaycee Dugard*/ from a South Lake Tahoe bus stop in 1991 and holding her hostage for 18 years. Garrido fathered two children with her who are now 11 and 15-years-old. New photos of the girls have surfaced from one of Garrido's business clients, who says the girls did not appear to be abused or neglected when photographed at a birthday party two weeks ago.
Jaycee Dugard has been reunited with her parents as police collect more evidence that they say could possibly connect Garrido with other crimes. Those crimes include the murder of 15-year-old /*Lisa Norrell*/ and the murders of three prostitutes back in the 1990s.
Investigators say the investigation overall is so complicated that it may take weeks or months to resolve.
- Police expand search in Garrido case
- Investigators face scrutiny in Dugard case
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- Garrido investigated in prostitute murders
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
- RAW VIDEO: RAW: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Jailhouse interview
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather