Corn and Crab Pot Pie
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, whole unsalted
- 2 Tbsp. Slab Bacon, small dice
- ¼ cup Onion, small dice
- 6 Tblsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Clam Juice
- ¼ cup Carrot, small dice
- ¼ cup Celery, small dice
- 1 Tblsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Fresh Corn cut off the cob
- ¼ cup Green Peas, frozen
- 1 cup Russet Potatoes, peeled and small dice
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Dungeness Crab Meat
- 1 tsp Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 2 tsp. Parsley, fresh, chopped
- ¼ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 12x18 sheet Puff Pastry Dough
- Egg Wash (1 egg beaten with a teaspoon of cream) as needed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 2 quart sauce pot, render bacon over medium heat until slightly crispy. Add butter and onions and cook until translucent stirring occasionally.
- Add flour and stir to form a roux or a paste. Turn burner down to low.
- Add clam juice and heavy cream, whisk until smooth, bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Add remaining vegetables and herbs, bring to a simmer and cover keeping the heat on low, stir occasionally with a spoon for 20 minutes. Check potatoes for doneness.
- When potatoes are tender, fold in crabmeat carefully as to not break up the lump meat. Adjust seasoning with Old Bay, Salt and Pepper. Remove from heat.
- Place the pot pie mix into a deep earthenware baking dish (preferably 3 inches deep). Brush egg wash around the rim of the dish and place the sheet of puff pastry dough on top.
- Gently press the puff dough around the rim to seal. Trim excess pastry dough away from the dish.
- Brush the dough with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve.
Yosemite Vintners' Holidays at The Ahwahnee
The Ahwahnee, a full-service, AAA Four-Diamond hotel located in scenic Yosemite Valley, Calif., today announces its 2009 season lineup for the 28th annual Vintners' Holidays event series. Celebrating excellence in winemaking in an unmatched and beautiful natural setting in Yosemite National Park, Vintners' Holidays brings together 32 prominent California wineries over a series of eight sessions from November 1 to December 3. Participants are invited to meet, learn from and dine with different winemakers, winery owners and growers in each session, moderated by some of the most respected wine authorities in the country.
Since its inception as a small gathering of winemakers and hotel guests in the winter of 1982, Vintners' Holidays has become a premier and much-sought-after destination for wine aficionados and winemakers alike. Esteemed California winemakers making repeat appearances this year include Iron Horse Vineyards, Joseph Phelps, Rombauer Vineyards, Saintsbury, Mumm Napa Estates, J Vineyards, Silver Oak Cellars, Morgan Winery and Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards & Winery. The newcomer spots are occupied this year by Alma Rosa Winery & Vineyards, Huge Bear Wines, Ceja Vineyards, Topel Winery and Halleck Vineyard.
Each session of Vintners' Holidays, guests are invited to take part in a "Meet the Winemakers" reception, participate in educational tasting seminars and enjoy a world-class, five-course gourmet dinner paired with that session's wines from Executive Chef Percy Whatley, served by candlelight in The Ahwahnee Dining Room.
The sessions are hosted and moderated by a leading expert in wine. This year Vinters' Holidays welcomes back Evan Goldstein, M.S., president of Full Circle Wine Solutions, Inc.; Michael Stepanovich, wine journalist and judge, Gilles de Chambure, M.S., director of wine education at Meadowood, Dan Berger, syndicated wine jounalist and judge; and Peter Marks, M.W. and vice president of education, Icon Estates.
Vintners' Holidays offers everyone from the novice to the connoisseur an opportunity to participate in a part of viticulture, sharing the wineries' latest vintages and oftentimes rare and limited-release samples exclusively with guests. Each year brings a collection of new and returning vintners, some of whom have participated for more than 20 years.
For more information on Yosemite Vintners' Holidays at The Ahwahnee or to make reservations, call 801-559-4949 or visit online at http://www.yosemitepark.com.
SPECIAL OFFER: The Ahwahnee has created a special offer for your viewers whereby anyone who books a package by November 1st and mentions the code "KGO" will receive $100 off any session of Vintners' Holidays or Chefs' Holidays. Please call 801-559-4949.
About Percy Whatley:
Executive Chef Percy Whatley has served Yosemite for over 15 years. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, Chef Whatley embraces a wonderful philosophy that allows foods to speak for themselves. He believes that the flavors and natural tendencies of quality ingredients in harmony with a perfect blend of spices are the true recipe for sumptuous cuisine. Though he is the king of his kitchen, Chef Whatley has never forgotten that he's been on the other side of the line. Therefore, he is dedicated to listening to and working closely with his talented team. He also loves to interact with his guests in The Ahwahnee® Dining Room, and always shares and discusses their feedback with his staff.