Timeless Oatmeal & Apple Blueberry Low-fat Muffins
- 1 ½ cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or spelt flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar(or sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups frozen blueberries or mixed fruit
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of cloves
- 4 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- Apple wedges to garnish (with or without peel)
- Soak the oats, apple juice, sugar (sugar substitute) and vanilla for 30 minutes.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, grated apple and cinnamon.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites; Spoon into 12 muffin tins.
- Top muffins with 2 sliced apple wedges (cut quarters of apple into 3 or 4 wedges) and bake at 170° C (338°F) for 25 - 30 minutes until muffins and cooked though and golden.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Deltrina, an artist and musician, has a family history of heavy weight and heart disease from a life of touring with the band, and living on the stage. She decided to change the way she and her family eat by creating healthier recipes and food choices without compromising the good southern flavor she enjoys! Her son Jonah, also a musician, had started to make many of the same bad food choices and has started eating better because of mom!
For more information about the music, visit: www.sotimeless.com