Banana Cupcake Recipe:
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup pureed bananas (from 1-2 fully ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ounce unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
sifted, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside. Add the vanilla to the milk; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for 30 seconds. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg, and continue to beat on high for 1 minute, until the butter is creamy and touches the sides of the bowl. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the sugar in a slow steady stream and beat for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture appears light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure that everything is combined.
- Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, in 3 additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl between each addition, and mix until well combined. Fold in the banana. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out free of uncooked batter. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Put the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Pour the cream and corn syrup into a small saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute, then slowly stir the mixture to blend well. Let cool to about 70° on a thermometer or until firm enough to pipe or spread.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on high speed for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and gradually add the powdered sugar, beating well until incorporated.
- Fill a pastry bag with a 1/4-inch metal tip with the chocolate ganache and insert tip into the top of each cored cupcake.
- Squeeze the bag until you feel a slight pressure, which should put approximately 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of chocolate in each cupcake.
- You should only squeeze for a couple of seconds. When all the cupcakes are filled, frost them with the cream cheese frosting.
Kara's Cupcakes are made lovingly by hand each day, using the finest ingredients available in the Bay Area. Kara's commitment to creating the most delectable batch of cupcakes, sourced from local purveyors uses organic and sustainable ingredients wherever possible and supports her vision of an artisan treat that must be enjoyed immediately.
Following the opening of the Scott Street location in the marina in October 2006, today, Kara's Cupcakes boasts five locations around the Bay Area. Visit us at our Marina or Ghirardelli Square stores in San Francisco; Town and Country Village in Palo Alto; Santana Row in San Jose; Oxbow Market in Napa; or at our new mobile Cupcake Van, wherever we happen to be. Visit www.karascupcakes.com or call (415) 563-CAKE to place your order today!