Ricotta basil stuffed squash blossoms fritto
English peas red spring onion ragu'
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 3 blossoms per portion
For the ragu:
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring onion cleaned, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, grated
- 1/3 C plum tomatoes drained of their juice, chopped
- 1/3 C freshly shelled English peas
- 1 pinch dry oregano
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add spring onion and cook until soft, add garlic.
- Cook until golden, add tomatoes and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add English peas, continue cooking over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and reserve.
- 1 lb fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 oz grated parmesan cheese
- 8 basil leaves, julienned
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 squash blossoms
- 1/3 C AP flour
- 1/3 C corn starch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- tt cold sparkling water
- Olive oil for pan roasting
- 1 handful pea sprouts
- Mix ricotta with parmesan cheese, basil, lemon zest, extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Clean squash blossoms and stuff with the cheese mix.
- In mixing bowl combine flour, corn starch, baking soda and add cold water to dilute the mix until it loosely coats the back of a spoon.
- Heat a saute' pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Dip blossoms in the flour batter and place in pan. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Turn blossoms and cook another 2 minutes.
- To serve place ragu' on the bottom of the serving dish, top with blossoms and garnish with pea sprouts.