The bright, healthful salad is adapted from a recipe by cookbook author Russ Parsons.
- 1 1/2 c water
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced; plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- 2 lbs strawberries, cut into quarters
- 4 navel oranges
- Bring 11/2 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar to a boil. Cook just until clear, 2 to 3 minutes. Let syrup cool briefly.
- Add 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves. Set aside to steep and cool
- Rinse and hull 2 lbs. strawberries and cut into quarters.
- With a small, sharp knife, cut ends off 4 navel oranges, and then slice off the
peel and white pith. Make sure you hold the oranges over a bowl to catch all the juice.
- Next cut between inner membranes and fruit to release segments into bowl.
- Squeeze juice from membranes into the bowl and discard membranes.
- Add strawberries to the oranges and pour basil syrup over the fruit.
- You can garnish the salad with whole basil leaves if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
>> PRINT A SHOPPING LIST FOR THIS RECIPE
Celebration Weekend 2010
June 5-6, 2010
80 Willow Road
Menlo Park, California 94025
Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Phone: (650) 321-3600/800-777-0117
Sunset is the premier resource for achieving the ultimate Western lifestyle. Our experts focus on travel destinations in the 13 Western states, home design and outdoor living ideas suited to our region, and recipes and menus that celebrate the West.
Published monthly, Sunset shares the best of life in the West¯from travel and food to home and garden¯with our nearly five million readers. We are passionate about showcasing the region's unique lifestyle and noteworthy destinations, inspiring people to achieve the dream of living in the West.
Sunset Customer Service
P.O. Box 62375
Tampa, FL 33662
About Katie Tamony:
Katie Tamony is vice president and editor-in-chief of Sunset, the magazine of Western living.
Ms. Tamony joined the company in 1994 as a copy editor, and was named copy chief later that year. In 1995, she helped launch the custom publishing division as editor.
Ms. Tamony was named editorial director in 1997 and was promoted to vice president and director of custom publishing in 2000. In May 2001, Ms. Tamony was named VP and editor-in-chief, responsible for all editorial products.
Prior to joining Sunset, Ms. Tamony was an associate editor and then managing editor with Northern California Home & Garden. In 1990, she began freelancing for Parenting Magazine and wrote Your Second Pregnancy (Chicago Review Press, 1995), a book that sold more than 30,000 copies.
A native of Sebastopol, Calif., Ms. Tamony earned a bachelor's degree in history from the University of California at Berkeley.
Currently, she resides in Belmont, California, with her two teenage daughters, Sara and Caitlin.