Swiss chard with pancetta
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Inspired by a dish from the Kitchen restaurant in Boulder, Colorado. This quick recipe incorporates pancetta-which, like other cured meats, is a classic partner for chard.
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) chopped pancetta
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 red chiles such as Fresno or jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. Swiss chard, leaves whole, stems and ribs removed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook pancetta, stirring, until crispy, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, chiles, and chard stems and ribs and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add chard leaves and pepper, cover pot, and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
Per serving: 102 Cal., 76% (78 cal.) from fat; 3.2 g protein; 8.7 g fat (2.3 g sat.); 5.2 g carbs (1.9 g fiber); 320 mg sodium; 4 mg chol. Chard-stem gratin
Sunset is the premier resource for achieving the ultimate Western lifestyle. Our experts focus on travel destinations in the 13 Western states, home design and outdoor living ideas suited to our region, and recipes and menus that celebrate the West.
Published monthly, Sunset shares the best of life in the West¯from travel and food to home and garden¯with our nearly five million readers. We are passionate about showcasing the region's unique lifestyle and noteworthy destinations, inspiring people to achieve the dream of living in the West.
For more information, visit www.sunset.com
About Julie Chai:
Julie Chai is the associate garden editor and test garden manager for Sunset magazine. She writes regularly about growing edibles, small-space gardening, outdoor decorating, and low maintenance landscapes.
An avid do-it-yourselfer, she loves helping new gardeners get started.
Celebration Weekend 2010 Event Information:
Sunset Magazine Celebration Weekend: The West-on-the-Go
Saturday and Sunday, June 5 and 6
80 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
10am to 5pm
$16 General Admission, $12 Seniors (60+) Free Under 12
Get $1 off if you bike to the event. Get $1 off if you park at Oracle (formerly Sun Microsystems) at 1601 Willow Road, Menlo Park (east of Highway 101) and ride the free shuttles to the event.
Tickets will also be sold at the door and in advance at
For additional questions, call 800-786-7375 and click here for directions.