Crispy Fava Bean Raviolis with Truffle Cheese Fondue
Fava Bean Ravioli Filling
- 2 Cups fresh fava beans, blanched and peeled
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Arbequina Olive Oil (a type of Spanish Olive Oil)
- 2 Tablespoons Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Tarragon, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place fava beans in food processor, pulse until coarsely ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 1 lb. Pasta Sheets - 6"X22" (approximately 5 sheets)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- Canola or olive oil for frying
- Lay pasta sheet over large 2.5" 10 count ravioli mold, depress to indent spaces with indent plate. Fill each space with 1 1/2 tablespoon of fava bean filling.
- Brush another sheet with beaten egg and lay over top of filled raviolis, egg side down. Seal, turn out and cut apart. Partly cook for 2 minutes per side in boiling salted water. Remove to tray lined with towel to drain briefly.
- Toss in bowl with bread crumbs, remove to tray to dry. Heat oil to 325 degrees, fry raviolis in small batches until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve warm with truffle cheese fondue (see recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups shredded Bothwell Black Truffle Cheese
- Truffle oil, optional
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over gentle heat. Cook shallots until soft. Add wine and reduce by ½.
- Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Mix shredded cheese with cornstarch and add, Whisking constantly until all of the cheese is melted.Puree wuth hand blender until smooth and glossy.
- Hold in warm place until ready to serve *Be careful not to boil the fondue once the cheese is added.
About Dory Ford:
Dory Ford's life-long passion for food began in the Pacific Northwest. Fueled by his love of food and inspired by the abundance of local ingredients - fresh seafood, wild mushrooms, and garden-fresh produce, he began his culinary career at Malasapina College's chef-training program in British Columbia.
After steadily advancing through the ranks in kitchens of the Pacific Northwest, Ford headed to warmer climates. He landed in the culinary hotbed of Hawaii, where he enthusiastically immersed himself in Pacific Rim cuisine. From Hawaii, Ford moved to Los Angeles to continue to broaden his horizons and fuel his passion for food.
In Los Angeles, Ford served as the Executive Chef for Gai Klass Catering (repeatedly voted Best Caterer in Los Angeles by Zagats), The Huntington Museum, Library and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena, and at the prestigious Jonathan Beach Club in Santa Monica.
After more than 10 years in Los Angeles, Ford moved to the Monterey Peninsula in 2005, accepting the job as Executive Chef for Bon Appétit Management Company at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
At the Monterey Bay Aquarium he was a celebrated leader in the Seafood Watch Program's initiative of protecting our oceans by cooking only with sustainable seafood. Prior to launching Aqua Terra, Ford held the position of Executive Chef at the renowned Ventana Inn and Spa in Big Sur.
There, he oversaw the culinary operations during the reconstruction and opening of the restaurant after the devastating fire of 2008. Ford's passion for food has consistently received numerous accolades for his culinary talent. He has also been featured in Sunset Magazine, Coastal Living Magazine and many local publications.
Recently he made appearances on The Food Network's BBQ with Bobby Flay, and Rick Browne's BBQ America. Ford's abundant culinary experiences have given him the opportunity to further develop his passion for fresh, seasonal food made with sustainable and organic ingredients which continue to inspire his work.
Today, Ford is the Chef/Owner of Aqua Terra a company focusing on catering, event planning and menu consulting for the food service industry.
About Aqua Terra:
Aqua Terra specializes in using farm-to-table products that are responsibly sourced with an emphasis on seasonality, quality and minimizing environmental impact.
Chef/Owner Dory Ford personally selects the food for his menus locally, from farmers he knows and trusts. Every Aqua Terra menu is custom developed to match the lifestyle, personality and culture of the client. Aqua Terra provides its guests with everything from intimate, private dining experiences to cocktail parties and receptions.
Passionate about the ingredients he chooses and about the process of transforming those ingredients into memorable dishes, Dory brings a passion for food and wine that stimulates Aqua Terra customers' minds and palates.
Aqua Terra Events and Consulting
3069 Strawberry Hill Rd.
Pebble Beach, CA 93953
Find Aqua Terra on Facebook