Firefighters rescue elderly man from burning home


The fire was reported at a single-family home at 309 W. 13th St. at 9:07 a.m.

Firefighters arrived within six minutes and found smoke coming from the attic vents and one resident outside on the front porch, Broschard said. She told firefighters that her 93-year-old husband was still inside.

Firefighters searched the house and found the man in a front bedroom. He was removed from the home and taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Crews had the fire under control within 11 minutes, Broschard said.

The fire appears to have started in the kitchen, and the woman who lives at the home said she might have accidentally turned on the stove on while she was heating some coffee in the microwave earlier that morning, Broschard said.

She told crews that a smoke alarm had gone off, alerting her to the fire.

Damage from the fire was estimated to be about $70,000.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.