Friends and family filed out of the rosary service where they saw 3-year-old Carlos Nava lying in a small casket, dressed in a white tuxedo. His parents were touched by the turnout.
"The diversity of the support is what they're really amazed them," Mexican consulate spokesperson Adriana Gonzalez said.
Gonzalez says the boy's parents, who are from Mexico, lost their jobs as restaurant workers shortly before their son was caught in the crossfire of a drive by shooting last week on International Boulevard.
"The father is actually in more positive spirits, they think their child is helping to bring the community together, that's what they just told us," Gonzalez said.
This weekend, neighbors held a carwash and barbecue to raise money for the Nava's funeral expenses.
"Many people feel the pain of the parents of this child," Oakland resident Shawn Toliver said.
Meanwhile, Oakland police announced the arrest of a second suspect in the shooting, 22-year-old Willie Torrance. He was detained in Las Vegas on Friday and is awaiting extradition.
"He was believed to be the driver of the vehicle in question," Oakland Police Asst. Chief Howard Jordan said.
Last week, investigators arrested the alleged trigger man, 26-year-old Lawrence Denard.
"It was very challenging in the beginning, but most of the information was from citizens who were sick to their stomachs about what happened," Jordan said.
"I think many people are tired of the violence in the streets of Oakland," Toliver said.
Even the Oakland Fire Department is expected to attend the funeral services that will be held Tuesday at Saint Bernard's Church at 11 a.m.