Oikos nursing director distraught over shooting


Late Wednesday night the Associated Press reported that Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan first confirmed Wednesday that Cervellon, 43, was the apparent target, but later said investigators believe another female administrator instead was targeted. But he declined to say why police believe the other school official was targeted and would not identify her. "She is terrified," he said.

Cervellon's roommate said she is distraught and has survivor's guilt over the deaths of seven people. "She cried all night last night. She's not doing very well right now," Linda Music said.

One Goh is the accused shooter behind the Oikos University shooting rampage.

On Monday morning, the quiet Christian-based campus was rocked by violence when police say Goh, a troubled former student, decided to take revenge on administrators and students that he believed had wronged him. Police believe Goh spent weeks planning his alleged campus assault. Police say he is cooperating with police, providing details of his murder spree, but that he is not showing remorse for the killings. Investigators believe Goh went to the school looking for a person who he believed had wronged him, but opened fire with his semi-automatic weapon when he learned she was not there.

Cervellon's roommate, Music, said her friend is beside herself with grief and has spent the last two days speaking with the students and affected families. She described her roommate's reaction when she heard the news about the campus shooting saying, "She was in shock, very much in shock. She was very close to her students and her secretary Catherine was like a daughter to her. So, she's devastated."

Katleen Ping was one of the seven people killed that day. She got the job at the school less than a year ago. She was the school's 24-year-old administrative assistant and believed to have been taken by Goh when he did not find his intended target. Witnesses say they heard Ping scream "Jesus Christ" from her office several times just moments before they heard the gunshots. Police say Goh then moved on to other classrooms and continued firing.

Cervellon has been a nurse for more than 30 years and according to a family friend, had only been at Oikos University for one year.

Other families who lost loved ones in the shooting rampage have been too distraught to talk. Tim Brown's fiancée is 53-year-old Judith Seymour. She was a San Jose mother of two children, now in their 20s. Tim says Judy was Catholic, committed to her faith, and dedicated beyond belief to her children Camella and Brian. "She did everything for them. Every decision she made in life, every course she took, the first consideration and number one priority was her children," he said.

Tim says Judy was already proving to be an excellent nurse because she naturally cared for others and like so many of the victims, was looking forward to graduating in June and beginning a new chapter in her life. Judith Seymour was born in Guyana and her body will be returned there to be buried next to her grandmother.

Also killed in the massacre were 23-year-old Grace Kim, 24-year-old Katleen Ping, 33-year-old Sonam Choedon, 38-year-old Tshering Bhutia, and 40-year-old Doris Chibuko.

More is also being learned about the survivors wounded in the shooting. 19-year-old Dawinder Kaur suffered a gunshot wound to her right arm and was treated and released on Monday. The two other victims were named named Wednesday: Ahmad Javid Sayeed and Grace Kirika. Both have been treated and released from the hospital.

Sayeed tells his account of the shooting

Ahmad Javid Sayeed, 36, one of the survivors of the shooting, describes some new details about what happened inside the classroom where the shooting started.

Sayeed said the shootings came almost without any warning. He says Goh burst into the classroom with a woman hostage and started yelling "line up" and started firing.

"When he started, we saw the lady's chest hurt. She fall from the chair. Everybody [was] scared and [wanted] to escape from the class. Our class has three doors, he came from [the] back door," said Sayeed.

Katleen Ping, a school secretary, was likely the woman Goh brought into the classroom and the first person shot. Sayeed says he and two other students escaped and hid in a nearby room.

"I locked the door, I [waited] for cops, I heard some shooting," said Sayeed.

And that's when Sayeed says realized he too had been shot in the shoulder.

"Later I [felt] something wet in my jacket and my arm. When I touch, I saw some bleeding coming from my wound," said Sayeed.

Sayeed is originally from Kabul, Afghanistan. He's been studying nursing since he moved to the United States three years ago and he did not recognize the shooter because he's only been at Oikos University for the last three months. He's still trying to understand why this happened.

"I can't say nothing, I don't know him, I don't know what's happened to him, why he did this situation in the class," said Sayeed.

Sayeed was released Monday from the hospital and is recovering from his gunshot wound to the shoulder with family in the Bay Area.

Memorial service held for Lydia Sim

Friends and family of Sim said goodbye to the Oikos University student who was killed in Monday's school shooting.

"I saw her when she was young, a little girl, and she played soccer with my sons. She was really cute and a very nice girl," said Joyce Cho, a friend of Sim's parents. "She has a loving heart and she's a really good daughter to her parents and she loved kids so much."

Sim was studying medicine. Her parents had just wanted her to have a good life.

"We are immigrants from South Korea. We have a hope, we have a dream, we wanted to raise our children in here as well. The dream is gone," said Cho.

Sim was a big part of the church.

"She personally taught my cousin at this church here. She was an active teacher in the ministry here and it's just a shame that this had to happen," said Jinsu Paik, a family friend.

Joseph Cho last saw Sim Sunday, the day before she died.

"We were cracking jokes and she was laughing with us, so that was the last time I saw her," said Cho. "We've been crying about it, especially the parents, they're taking it really hard. So we're speechless."

It was evident how much of an impact the young lady had on so many people and how much she was loved. The pastor, who moved to Texas, flew back so that he could lead the memorial.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.