SF police investigate New Year's Eve shootings

January 1, 2013 6:40:38 PM PST
San Francisco police are looking for the shooters who injured three people in two separate incidents during the New Year's revelry Monday night on the Embarcadero.

The first shooting took place around 10:40 p.m. at Jefferson and Mason streets, one man wounded there. About an hour later, another man and a 12-year-old boy were hit by gunfire at Pier 23.

A lot of people came to the waterfront on New Year's Eve hoping to see fireworks. Instead, many heard gunshots. The two shootings all happened before midnight.

Avi Sadi showed us where two bullet holes shattered the glass of his Fisherman's Wharf art gallery on New Year's Eve. A man standing on the sidewalk on Jefferson Street was shot in the hand, "I'm paying big rent, you know it shouldn't be this way, it shouldn't be this way," Sadi said. "It's scary, but I'm here every day, luckily nobody died."

Police say the shooter took off toward the waterfront, leaving panicked tourists behind.

Joe Daly, who was visiting from Boston, said it was chaos, "Instantly a wave of people came running toward us, mostly kids, screaming 'gunshots gunshots!'"

40 minutes later bullets were fired into the crowd on the Embarcadero in front of Pier 23, hitting a 12-year-old boy in the ankle. Paramedics took him to the hospital, along with Jessica Hernandez's brother Danny who was grazed in the hip by a bullet.

"It was just loud pops," Jessica said. "We weren't sure if it was fireworks or what exactly it was. It happened so quick and it happened so close, everyone started running."

Police believe the shootings were random but can't say if they're connected. They have no suspects and no leads.

"We are asking the public to please come forward if they did witness anything to assist us," SFPD spokesperson Carlos Manfredi said.

Police hope to talk to witnesses and are also hoping security cameras on Fisherman's Wharf may have captured the suspect, or suspects, on tape.

Everyone who was shot, including the 12-year-old boy, expected to be okay.