Electrical issue prompts Emeryville IKEA evacuation

October 11, 2013 1:47:17 PM PDT
The Ikea furniture store in Emeryville was evacuated Friday as a precautionary measure after fire crews found an overloaded electrical panel, an Alameda County fire spokeswoman said.

A report of a fire at the store, located at 4400 Shellmound St., came in around 11:30 a.m., fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.

Store management decided to evacuate the store as a precaution because of the electrical issue and authorities determined there was no fire, Knowles said.

Oakland and Alameda fire department personnel also responded to the store.

Crewmembers worked with PG&E and Ikea management to assess the situation. The store was able to reopen a short time later.