Firefighters got the call of the fire burning in the 2600 block of Lanier Lane in San Jose just after 10:30 last night. Three people escaped the flames, but before firefighters could go in to put it out, they discovered a problem.
"We were unable to secure electrical which means disconnected. As you know with live electrical lines there's a hazard to firefighters because of the risk of electrocution," said San Jose Fire Capt. Reggie Williams.
The electrical was bypassed for the lights for the marijuana grow. Firefighters had to back off from the home and fought the fire defensively. The flames destroyed most of the house. It took about an hour for firefighters to knock down the flames.
PG&E disconnected power to the whole block so firefighters could secure the home. No injuries were reported but three people were displaced. Firefighters say they are cooperating with the investigation as police determine if this was a legal or illegal grow house.