Over the past four months, there have been over 800 racist incidents against Asian Americans in 34 of the state's 58 counties, according to data from Stop AAPI Hate.
The group is calling on California Governor Gavin Newsom and state legislators to strengthen anti-discrimination laws. They want the state superintendent to declare schools as safe havens from bias-based bullying. The task force is also demanding on the California Department of Public Health address systemic racism with more urgency.
WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
"Discrimination against anyone, against any group is simply not acceptable," said Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi.
Assemblymember David Chiu said business in SF's Chinatown dropped in half when the pandemic began. Chiu also discussed the beating of an Asian man in SF who was collecting cans and the thousands of other racist incidents across the nation.
The group said that President Trump's "xenophobic remarks" blaming China for the virus has led to an increase in racist incidents against the community.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the San Francisco Bay Area
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US