OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A nearly 90-year-old Asian woman was robbed of priceless personal mementos while she was moving out of her Oakland apartment building on Memorial Day.
She spoke exclusively with ABC7 News Anchor Dion Lim about the brazen theft.
"I don't think the things have any value to her," said Zhu. "I hope she can turn them back to me."
RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: 2 Asian women attacked, robbed in different neighborhoods; 1 close to SF DA's home
A photo shows 89-year-old Jane Zhu sitting on the only remaining box of her belongings her son and grandsons were about to load into their car Monday afternoon.
But before her family could arrive at the curb, a woman drove up suddenly, and silently started loading at least three of her moving boxes into the car.
"I didn't think something like this would happen suddenly," said Zhu. "My husband passed away. Everything, the books, the photos, everything, that's very precious to me."
RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: 7-year-old Oakland girl's message to robbers who tied up parents, stole family's life savings
One belonging is a priceless Chinese-English dictionary Mrs. Zhu and other professors worked on for 14 years in China, which she then used to teach young people English.
"I don't like to blame people," said Zhu. "I say 'god bless us.' I would say that to her. I hope she can return that to me."
She even pleaded with the thief to not take the items.
"I said 'don't take that! That has no value, that's only my family history, documents photos and books,'" said Zhu. "It's precious to me, but not precious to you. Don't take it."
RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: 84-year old Asian man warns others year after brutal San Francisco attack
Another older neighbor who rushed out to help Mrs. Zhu said she was followed into the apartment building by the thief and knocked to the ground. She sustained an injury from the fall.
Zhu was not hurt, but says she can't sleep at night. She hopes someone will see her dictionary and photos and return them.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime