According to the Marin Department of Health, most of the students are vaccinated and have experienced mild or no symptoms. MDH says there has been no trace of that outbreak in other Marin classrooms.
RELATED: Doctors support return of masking restrictions amid signs of new COVID surge
"I wasn't near the group of students who contracted it, but it is nice seeing the vaccine working," said Marin County 8th grader Rhett Krawitt.
Krawitt is immunocompromised and has long advocated for people to get vaccinated. He says he feels comfortable going on trips like this one again, as long as people around him are vaccinated.
"It ended up with them getting COVID but it is not going to be severe for them," he said. "The people who got vaccinated and then they got COVID they are not getting really sick."
VIDEO: As XE variant emerges in the Bay Area, expert says 1 thing could bring back mask mandates
Dr. Peter Chin-Hong at UCSF says if you are vaccinated, the only negative part of attending a large event or traveling is contracting a mild form of COVID.
"If people are vaccinated and mostly worried about missing school or work, then I would say stay home," he said. "Although cases are going up slightly, we are still doing very well in the Bay Area compared to earlier."
Dr. Chin-Hong thinks we are not at a place where people should cancel trips or cancel large gatherings.
"I think that we are not in the business of shutting down large events at this point or even in the near future," he said.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Is COVID-19 an endemic yet? ABC7 explains what it means, where we are in the transition
- Never had COVID? Expert explains chances of getting it now
- New studies shed light on how to treat BA.2 COVID variant, how long it survives on surfaces
- Here's what Europe's omicron BA.2 COVID surge means for the Bay Area
- Only 30% of eligible Californians awarded COVID-19 funeral assistance from FEMA
- Moderna seeks FDA authorization for 4th dose of COVID shot
- Map shows COVID-19 community levels in your area, where masks are recommended indoors
- Americans can now order another round of free at-home Covid-19 tests
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- California drops indoor mask mandate: What to know, what's different in the Bay Area
- Here's how to take a rapid COVID-19 test accurately at home
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits