He had an impressive mane of dark curly hair that hadn't been cut in a while.
LIFE AFTER COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
It has been a very, very long time since I challenged a barber to take down that much hair.
Now when I go to the Main Event Barbershop it's for what I call the middle-age trim.
"So how you been Mr. E? You been okay?"
Owner Jeremy Carrier has been calling me Mr. E in his soft Louisiana drawl for more than a decade now - cutting my hair and my two sons'. It's the first day back behind the chair since mid March and Jeremy has mixed emotions.
RELATED: Here's what East Bay hair salon had to do to reopen amid coronavirus pandemic
"The barber shops, salons, nail salons, we feel like we've been forgotten about through this whole pandemic. But, definitely today - the first day back - we're nervous, we're excited, we're anxious" he said.
Anxious to see regular customers, like yours truly and to have an income again, since many of his barbers have families. I was anxious to see what was different.
First, clients and barbers have to wear masks. You have to remove a strap on one side when it gets in the way, but use your hand to hold it in place over nose and mouth. No magazines on the tables. They've been replaced by hand sanitizer. The barber chairs are six
feet apart. Ten feet between the chairs and benches. Since they take reservations, no crowding inside. Some barbers wear gloves, others don't.
Not much hair to cut anymore but my barber was back in business today for the first time in four months. pic.twitter.com/WDGp7kP71g— Eric Thomas (@ericthomaskgo) June 17, 2020
"I think its just easier to wash your hands before and after every client" Jeremy said.
And after about 15 minutes of trimming and talking, it's done. Short and sweet.
Jeremy is hitting the ground running. He'll probably give 30 or more cuts today.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay AreaConversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions