That didn't stop the Miramontes family from celebrating their mother's milestone birthday, even if it is outside her nursing home window.
Mary Miramontes started living at Brookdale Senior Living Facility in Tracy just weeks before the shelter-in-place order came into effect. The Miramontes family wanted to make her 90th birthday memorable.
"It is my mom's first birthday here at this facility and we are here to celebrate the best we can," said Lou Miramontes. "It is sad to see her behind the window. For us, the family and friends, it is difficult because we are use to giving kisses and hugs."
Mary's sons, husband and grand-daughters gathered at a safe distance to enjoy cupcakes and serenade her.
RELATED:Coronavirus kindness: Bay Area artists create murals on boarded storefronts to uplift local communities
Mary Miramontes was born on April 21, 1930 in San Francisco and was known as the "Watchdog" of the family. She raised four sons and loved cooking and traveling to foreign countries.
"She really was the spirit of the family," said Miramontes.
Mary's husband Robert, blew her several kisses through the window.
"They have been married seventy-one years. Not having her by his side has been difficult," said Miramontes. "We bring him every other day and he clearly misses her."
RELATED: Coronavirus: East Bay Lacrosse coach creates innovative challenges for his players to hone their skills amid COVID-19 pandemic
An East Bay family showers their 90 year-old mother with love on her birthday! 🥳🎂— ABC7 Melissa Pixcar (@MelissaABC7) April 22, 2020
Story airs tomorrow on🔤7️⃣ pic.twitter.com/0EZlJwJUci
The Miramontes family looks forward to the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, when they can all be together again.
"Ninety is a special year and my dad is ninety-three," said Miramontes. "We are very privileged for both of my parents to reach the age of ninety."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19