"Covering our faces may be the most important," said San Francisco's Health Director, Dr. Grant Colfax.
RELATED: SF's updated health order requires doctor's note for those who can't wear a face covering
In San Francisco it's a requirement for anyone 10-years-old and older to wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose in public.
But, the one part of our face not required to be covered is our eyes. Should it be?
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert says it can't hurt.
"If you really want perfect protection of your mucosal surfaces, you have mucosal in the nose, mouth, and eye," said Dr. Fauci. "Theoretically you should protect all surfaces."
This includes, face coverings with face shields or eye goggles.
VIDEO: Face mask disagreement sparks shouting match in Martinez Walmart
Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, announced Thursday face shields should be worn by the public.
Birx said it will help protect people from touching their eyes and blocking droplets from their face.
But, not every public health expert agrees.
"In an ideal world, yes, people would all be wearing masks and goggles," said UCSF doctor Monica Gandhi, who specializes in infectious diseases. "But, do I think people will do that every single day, in every single interaction? No. I would prefer a face covering because this is the largest toll, the two nostrils and the mouth."
RELATED: Here's which mask is best to protect you from getting coronavirus
Dr. Gandhi explained the virus is less likely to enter through our eyes. She emphasized face shields are for the hospital and traditional masking is for the public.
"I can say with certainty that 100% mask compliance in society between cutting down illness and infection, would get us through this pandemic in 6 to 8 weeks," she said.
Could face shields or eye goggles be a requirement?
It's not likely in San Francisco anytime soon. According to Dr. Colfax the city is looking into it for hospitals and health care workers, but made it clear the public should focus on wearing masks.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic