REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- The owner of a Peninsula coffee roasting company is warning other businesses about a fraudulent face mask flyer that, according to the Department of Justice, is making the rounds.
"It's incredibly ridiculous and I didn't get them anywhere!" exclaims Connoisseur Coffee Company owner Shawn McMillan. "It didn't get him his cup of coffee, it didn't get him his pound of coffee!"
He's referring a printed out sign that, at first glance, looks like a real mask exemption flier. But upon closer inspection, he almost immediately knew it was fake.
"There is a number of grammatical errors and incorrect information on there," said McMillan, who says the phone number on the flier doesn't even work.
The Department of Justice even released a warning to be on alert for "fraudulent face mask flyers" and indicated their use has been on the rise.
The San Mateo County Health Department tells ABC7 News there are legitimate exemptions such as having a disability which would affect one's safety wearing a mask.
RELATED: These California cities will fine you for not wearing a mask or face covering
Aaron Recine, one of McMillan's employees has heard all kinds of excuses. Unfortunately, many are illegitimate.
"I had one lady come in and she had two cuts in her mask, right here," he said while motioning to indicate two slits near the nostrils.
He went on to say, "She says, 'It's trouble for me breathing.' I said, 'Doesn't that defeat the purpose?'"
VIDEO: All masks are not created equal, and bandannas are the poorest in the group
Connoisseur Coffee has since been on the lookout for these fraudulent flyers and now has security cameras and reminders, like signs and even a bear statue with a mask everywhere, to wear a mask.
McMillan has this short and clear message to other business owners, "Don't fall for this!"
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic