Police issue all clear, shelter-in-place order lifted after possible chemical emergency in Fremont

Amy Hollyfield Image
ByAmy Hollyfield KGO logo
Wednesday, February 16, 2022
Potential chemical emergency in Fremont, officials say
The Fremont Fire department responded to a potentially dangerous hazardous materials emergency at the Air Liquide building.

FREMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- Fremont police have issued an all clear on Wednesday after a possible chemical emergency at the Air Liquide building in Fremont.

Police sent out an update shortly before 1 p.m. saying the scene had been cleared and all roadways in the area had reopened.

This comes after the Special Operations Task Force of the Fremont Fire Department responded to a potentially dangerous hazardous materials emergency Wednesday morning at the Air Liquide.

The call came in at 7:15a.m. The building is located in an office park right alongside Interstate 880, between the interstate and Fremont Blvd.

Firefighters say an employee of the company put out a small fire with a fire extinguisher but had set off the alarm, which prompted the emergency response. Crews were immediately concerned about the possibility of toxic chemicals being released into the air.

RELATED: Oakland's McClymonds High School safe to return to, months after chemical scare, district says

"Apparently, it was plastic vessel that over pressurized and burned. That's what caused the black smoke. At this point, because it is an unknown chemical, we are standing by to verify if it is potentially toxic. But in the fire service, we treat all unknown chemicals as potentially toxic," Deputy Chief Zoraida Diaz said at 9:00a.m.

Now Streaming 24/7 Click Here

If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live

No injuries or fire damage were reported.

The fire department did not order any evacuations, but did ask the Hampton Inn and Hyatt Hotel to shelter in place and told residents to avoid the area of Landing Road and Fremont Boulevard.

The Fremont fire department said on Twitter the cause of the fire and hazardous materials incident are under investigation.

An initial shelter-in-place order given as a precaution has been lifted.

Firefighters will remain on site and will continue to monitor the air quality.

Bay City News contributed to this report