The order says those attending "outdoor mega-events" must wear a face covering at all times except when eating and drinking.
The new mandate is an addition to existing orders issued last month which require masks while entering most public indoor spaces, including major indoor events of 5,000 or more, as well as bars, restaurants and gyms.
The county had previously exempted outdoor mega-events from that order.
An outdoor mega event is defined as a gathering of more than 10,000 people outdoors in one location, such as sporting events, marathons, festivals, concerts and car shows. The operators of the events are responsible for making sure patrons follow the mask rules, the county says.
Why is LA County re-imposing mask mandate? COVID positivity rate increased by 700% in one month
Outdoor venues that had indoor seating areas or concourses, like Dodger Stadium, have been requiring masks be worn while in those areas, but until now most had not required them in outdoor seating areas.
Sofi Stadium is a hybrid of indoor and outdoor, with a roof covering but open air on the sides. Since last month's county mask order, the Inglewood football stadium has been requiring masks in indoor areas such as concourses and restrooms but not in most seating areas.
Amid a surging Delta variant among the unvaccinated, Los Angeles County reported 2,426 new COVID-19 cases on Monday as well as five additional deaths.
Recent data show about 67% of Los Angeles County's eligible population is vaccinated. Orange County announced that 75% of its eligible population has received at least one dose of vaccine.
But there is growing concern for unvaccinated children. A new study finds younger children are more likely to spread the virus to family members in their homes. Health officials say masks in schools will help.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area