Community mourns for those lost in San Bernardino shooting

EMBED </>More Videos

Hundreds gathered Thursday night to honor the 14 people shot and killed in the mass shooting in San Bernardino. (KGO-TV)

There was a powerful and somber moment in Southern California Thursday night as friends, family and strangers paused to remember the 14 people lost in a deadly shooting rampage.

The county medical examiner released the names of the 14 people killed in the massacre.

A large public vigil was held at the San Manuel baseball stadium in San Bernardino to accommodate the hundreds of people touched by the tragedy. The mayor and police officers attended to show support for a community that lost so much.

With candles lighting the stands, San Bernardino rose to the occasion.

People brought signs for their loved ones taken too soon and shared stories of them.

Not everybody in attendance knew one of the victims; some showed up to make others aware they are not afraid, nor should others fear them. Some Muslim women showed up with signs of peace saying things like "We stand with San Bernardino" and "prayer and love for the 14 victims."

Sara Natour explained she was there "to prove to people that Muslims have a heart and we had nothing to do with this, and I stand for my community members and I do not stand for senseless killings."

VIDEO: Stories of San Bernardino victims' lives begin to emerge

On the day following the tragedy, hugs were exchanged between total strangers, flags were flown half at staff and roads were closed all around the heart of San Bernardino -- a heart that's now broken.

Daniel Kaufman ran the coffee shop at Inland Regional Center. His boyfriend dropped him off at work Wednesday, his family says they got bad information he survived only to find out many hours later he didn't.

Damian Meins, who worked for environmental health, used to be physical education teacher in nearby Riverside. He would dress up like Santa for the kids.

Rosa Ortiz's nephew survived being shot five times.

"He was able to make two phone calls, one to his wife and one to his father," Ortiz said. "To both of them he said that he had been shot, that he was going to be OK and that he loved them."

Police said it could've been much worse. The married couple accused of the shooting, killed in a shootout with police, spree had 6,000 rounds of ammunition in several locations.

Police say a remote-controlled bomb intended to go off inside the site of the massacre didn't. They still don't know a motive, but they look at the preparations and suspect much more than interpersonal workplace argument.

"Nobody just one gets upset at a party, goes home and puts together that kind of an elaborate scheme, or plan together," said San Bernardino police chief Jarrod Burguan.

Police described a through and long thought out plan by the deceased couple.


Click here for full coverage on the deadly mass shooting in San Bernardino.
Related Topics:
mass shootingshootingcrimeu.s. & worldsouthern californiapoliceinvestigationterrorismgun violencesecuritysearchsan bernardino mass shootingCalifornia
(Copyright ©2019 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)