Pleasant Hill police issue 2nd shelter-in-place order for neighborhood where man allegedly shot wife

Bay City News
Saturday, December 9, 2023
Barricaded East Bay man shoots wife, posts to social media, police say
A barricaded Pleasant Hill man allegedly shot and injured his wife through a door and posted suicidal messages to X, police say.

PLEASANT HILL, Calif. -- Pleasant Hill police have issued another shelter-place order for the same neighborhood where a man allegedly shot his wife which resulted in an hours-long standoff.

Police say both directions of Monument Blvd. and Marcia Dr. are closed to through traffic due to police activity.

Pleasant Hill police have not confirmed whether this is connected to Thursday's incident where authorities responded to a home in the 200 block of Cleopatra Drive, where they found a woman who had been shot through a locked garage door while she was trying to get into her house.

She was allegedly shot by her husband, who police say fired a single shot from a shotgun.

Police surrounding the home of a barricaded suspect who allegedly shot his wife through a door.
Police surrounding the home of a barricaded suspect who allegedly shot his wife through a door.

She was treated at a hospital for injuries that weren't considered life-threatening and was later released.

The woman's husband, who has not been identified, stayed in the house while SWAT team members secured the area, according to police.

For several hours afterward, he allegedly refused to communicate with crisis negotiators who tried to contact him via telephone and loudspeaker, police said in a news release Friday.

At about 2 a.m., the SWAT team "disengaged from the scene and the husband was left alone" inside the house, police said.

"The case is still active, it doesn't mean he won't be arrested. We're monitoring the area," said Pleasant Hill Police Lt. Jason Kleven.

Kleven said officers left the immediate area in order to initiate "a little cooling-off period."

"With us there at his house, it makes tensions run a little bit higher," Kleven said. "We're not giving up the case or anything like that."

During the standoff, several streets around the home were closed to traffic, including both directions of nearby Monument Boulevard, and neighbors were asked to evacuate or shelter in place.

Also, the man continued to post to social media during and after the standoff, including some messages that police believe indicated he might be suicidal.

Since the SWAT team left, the surrounding streets were reopened, neighbors were allowed back into their homes and officers continue to reach out to the man, Kleven said.

"There's nothing we've seen that indicates there's a danger to people there," he said.

While the police say they continued to monitor the situation, their decision to leave the house unattended for most of Friday has upset many who live and work in the area.

"That's crazy to me. Because now he's a danger to all his neighbors. If there's kids that live nearby, they're at risk if he decides to do anything," said Yasmine Selvin.

Her father, David Selvin, adding, "If I lived on that block, I would be armed legally protecting my family."

As for what happens next, Cal State East Bay professor and policing expert Dr. Lisa Hill says law enforcement officials will have to do a cost-benefit analysis to make that determination.

"In addition to the safety feature, how much manpower they're willing to use in order to get this person to surrender," said Dr. Lisa Hill.

ABC7 News reporter Tim Johns contributed to this report.

Stay with ABC7 News for updates on this developing story.

Now Streaming 24/7 Click Here

If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live