SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A brush fire that broke out Monday in the area of Silicon Valley Road and Basking Ridge Avenue in San Jose was 80 percent contained by early afternoon.
Both Cal Fire and San Jose fire crews responded to the blaze that quickly spread to about 35 acres, threatening one structure.
The fire, dubbed Silicon Fire, was spreading at a "dangerous rate of spread in grass," Cal Fire Santa Clara Unit said in a Twitter post.
As of 12:45 p.m., the blaze was 80 percent contained.
Erica Ray, spokesperson with the San Jose Fire Department said firefighters will likely contain the fire today.
Authorities believe it was likely started by metallic balloons that came in contact with transmission lines.
No evacuations or warnings were issued and the structure that was threatened remains intact.
Follow developments with California fires with our exclusive Wildfire Tracker that's updated with the latest information from CAL FIRE every hour. Check in to see where fires are spreading, the acres burned, and see containment information in real-time.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
Get the latest updates and videos on wildfires burning across the Bay Area and California here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- The deadliest wildfires in California history
- Live: Track Bay Area air quality levels
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health
- What are the diablo winds and how can they influence Northern California wildfires?
- What you need to know about Santa Ana winds and California wildfires
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to pick a mask for protection during a wildfire
- Red flag warning: What to do during dangerous fire conditions
- Everything to know about red flame retardant dropped during wildfires
- What happens to animals during wildfires?
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- How wildfires create a serious threat for flooding and mudflows
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires