WEST SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A memorial is being planned for a 14-year-old boy who died Friday two days after he was struck by a car in front of Archbishop Mitty High School in West San Jose.
Loukas Angelo was a freshman at the high school at 4900 Mitty Way, where he was struck by a car shortly before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, police and school officials said.
The teen was taking part in conditioning exercises in preparation for the upcoming basketball season at a park across from the school and ran back to campus during a break, but was hit by a car, Principal Tom Brosnan said.
Officers responded to the scene where they found a silver Ford Focus driven by a woman, according to police.
Speed, alcohol or drugs are not suspected to have been a factor in the collision, police said.
Loukas was transported to a hospital where he was in a coma and on life support, Brosnan said.
He was pronounced dead on Friday evening, according to the Santa Clara County medical examiner's office.
Brosnan said he spoke with the students this morning on Loukas' passing and has grief support services available through the school's nine full-time counselors and campus ministry staff.
In a letter on the school's website Brosnan asked for the school community to pray for the boy's family and friends.
The school is planning a memorial service for Loukas on Wednesday after school, Brosnan said.
The community has expressed their condolences on social media with #PrayForLoukas and #RIPLoukas.
Loukas had graduated earlier this year from Hillbrook School, which serves students in Kindergarten through Eighth Grade, according to a Facebook post.
"Athletic, intelligent, quick-witted, and caring, Loukas was an integral part of his class. Through his quiet wisdom, inspiring perseverance,
and humor he touched many lives both here at Hillbrook and beyond," the post said.
The post continues to say, "We are privileged to have known this exceptional young man and to have been a part of his story; he will forever remain a part of ours."