San Jose police take kidnapping, burglary suspect into custody ending standoff

Chris Nguyen Image
ByChris Nguyen KGO logo
Thursday, October 13, 2016
San Jose police officers and members of SWAT team respond during a standoff with a suspect that lasted several hours in San Jose, Calif.
San Jose police officers and members of the SWAT team respond during a standoff with a suspect that lasted several hours in San Jose, Calif.

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police have taken a burglary and kidnapping suspect into custody, ending a 12 hour long standoff that began Wednesday morning.

San Jose police were first called about a simple theft on Tully Road, but it quickly escalated from there.

Officers went door-to-door trying to track down the suspect. This all started at around 9 a.m. when police were called to the O'Reilly Auto Parts Store on Tully Road.

Employees reported a man trying to steal. Upon arrival, police tried to stop the suspect, but he was able to escape the auto store by jumping over a fence on the backside of the property.

That led to a foot chase across the street to Clarice Drive. The man then broke into three different homes. Along the way, he held two women against their will, but they have been released. The victims did not sustain any injuries.

Neighbors who were evacuated said the experience was terrifying.

"They say, run, run, I not even get my phone, or my key car, so I'm stuck right now," said San Jose resident Hanh K.

"I don't want to live in this area. It's dangerous, it's always happening," said San Jose resident Lucy Uribe.

Hostage were on scene. San Jose police say they consider the man to be armed with a knife, possibly a handgun. Different officers from various divisions weer the scene, including SWAT and K-9 officers.

Police were eventually able to take the suspect into custody at around 6:50 p.m. He sustained non-life threatening injuries and was be transported to a local area hospital for treatment. When he's released he will be booked into the Santa Clara County Jail.

A second suspect, a woman, was arrested in connection with the original theft at O'Reilly Auto Parts. She was found and arrested near the auto parts store shortly after the theft and was also booked into Santa Clara County Jail on burglary charges.