Once upon a time before the 2013 Super Bowl, Colin Kaepernick was worshiped in Turlock. The local bakery cranked out cookies and restaurants named sandwiches and hot dogs after him. But things have cooled down. The sandwich and cookie honors have vaporized.
One resident having lunch with her daughter downtown said, "I don't think he's the hero he once was, the hometown hero."
TIMELINE: Looking back at Colin Kaepernick's transformation from football star to social justice advocate
Here they say the day the football star started taking a knee during the national anthem, August 14, 2016, is the day the wind shifted in Turlock.
"He was our favorite son kind of thing then all of a sudden with the kneeling a lot of conservative people in the valley decided they didn't like that kind of thing and turned their head on Mr. Kaepernick," Pat Mandas said.
Turlock resident Becky Getty added, "It just seems like everyone was behind him and now it's just a big let down. I'm embarrassed for him."
Steve Rehberg said, "He caused a lot of trouble. That's the U.S. flag, that's what a lot of men fought in the wars and died for. "
RELATED: Colin Kaepernick featured in new 'Just Do It' ad campaign for Nike
Some said they wish Kaepernick would come home and face the people in Turlock, although they admit with the level of animosity right now he might not be welcome.
"He'd get the cold shoulder. there wouldn't be a lot of people running up to him for an autograph," Mandas said.
VIDEO: Kaepernick billboard hangs high above SF's Nike store
One restaurant still had a Kaepernick jersey up on its wall but they declined an interview.
Turlock resident Kyle Brown admitted the backlash is strong in this area but said personally, "I still have my love for him and I'll be honest I never liked him as a football player but now he's so much more than football, I definitely had to take notice, I had to take notice."
Still it appears to be a hard sell in Turlock for the new face of Nike.
Get the latest on former 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick here.
RELATED KAEPERNICK STORIES & VIDEOS:
- TIMELINE: Looking back at Colin Kaepernick's transformation from football star to social justice advocate
- 'Some are offended, some aren't': Vet who suggested Kaepernick kneel reacts to Nike deal
- Some say Turlock's 'hometown hero' Colin Kaepernick is no longer welcome
- TIMELINE: How anthem protests have evolved
- Bay Area nonprofits thankful for Colin Kaepernick's donations, generosity
- VIDEO: Kaepernick billboard hangs high above SF's Nike store
- No backlash at San Leandro Nike store after Colin Kaepernick ad released
- Olympians, activists Tommie Smith, John Carlos show support of former SF 49er Colin Kaepernick
- Nike faces backlash for 'Just Do It' ad featuring Colin Kaepernick
- Colin Kaepernick featured in Nike campaign celebrating 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' motto
- Arbitrator sends Colin Kaepernick's grievance against NFL to trial
- 49ers talk NFL policy on kneeling, state of the team in Santa Clara
- Teams, fans react to new NFL policy requires players on field to stand for anthem
- Jon Gruden 'surprised' Colin Kaepernick has not been signed
- Colin Kaepernick honored by Amnesty International for inequality protests
- Kaepernick finishing $1 million pledge that began with anthem protest
- Colin Kaepernick accepts Muhammad Ali Legacy Award from Beyonce
- Colin Kaepernick accepts ACLU award: 'We all have an obligation'
- Former 49er Colin Kaepernick named GQ's 'Citizen of the Year'
- Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and America
- San Francisco pastor, NAACP call for removal of national anthem, support of Kaepernick
- Is Kaep radioactive? Why Colin Kaepernick doesn't have a job
- Colin Kaepernick's parents break silence: 'We absolutely do support him'
- Mural supporting 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick goes up in San Francisco's Mission District
- 49ers' Colin Kaepernick, teammates continue protest during National Anthem
- 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick receives death threats over national anthem protest
- FULL INTERVIEW: 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick talks anthem protest, patriotism
- President Obama defends Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar supports Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest
- 49ers head coach speaks out about Kaepernick sitting through anthem
- RAW VIDEO: 49ers' Kaepernick will sit through anthem until there's change
- Niners QB Kaepernick refuses to stand for anthem in protest