Though Dr. Michael Anderson said he's an optimist, he said parents need to be safe in terms of children and COVID-19.
When it comes to sending a child to summer camp, Anderson said families should consider three things - what municipality they are in and what local leaders are saying, what health and safety protocol a camp is putting in place and reestablishing a relationship with their child's pediatrician.
Anderson said families should also take grandparents and more vulnerable populations into account when sending children to camp.
When sending a child to a camp among other children, they then return to a household with other, possibly at-risk, family members.
Child care can resume in San Francisco on June 1. Summer camps are permitted to open beginning June 15.
Anderson also discussed MIS-C, or Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children, a rare condition being linked to COVID-19.
The syndrome first appeared in the United Kingdom and Italy, Anderson said.
He said the condition is very rare and that a "great majority" of kids respond well to therapy and recover.
RELATED: New global health warning about, MIS-C, rare inflammatory syndrome in children
The syndrome was first linked to Kawasaki Disease, but because of new distinctions, it is now separate.
MIS-C generally affects older children, whereas Kawasaki Disease is oftentimes seen in toddlers, ABC7 reported.
Despite concern in the pediatric community, Anderson reiterated the condition is very rare.
Watch the full interview with Dr. Anderson above.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions