SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Two VTA mechanics suffered smoke inhalation trying to extinguish a fire that ignited on a battery electric bus, the transportation agency said on Friday.
The bus was at VTA's Cerone maintenance yard for repairs at the time, and there were no passengers on board.
"After initial failed attempts to put the fire out, the two mechanics pushed the bus out of the maintenance bay to avoid further damage to the building. Nearby employees were evacuated, and emergency responders arrived moments later and extinguished the flames. The two mechanics were taken to a local hospital for treatment," VTA said in a statement.
VTA says the bus that caught fire was one of a fleet of 10 battery-electric Proterra buses, all of which have now been taken out of service pending an investigation of the fire.
Employees returned to their normal workstations after the fire was extinguished, according to VTA. The bus that caught fire was damaged beyond repair.
VTA's Cerone Bus Yard is on Zanker Road near SR 237, and houses more than 400 VTA employees including bus operators, mechanics, dispatchers and other administrative staff.
If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live