Newsom suggested the possibility of starting class in late July.
"Concerns me because I know it's not gonna work," says Sabrina Tijerina, who is a parent of three and a teaching assistant at Silverwood Elementary School in Concord.
She is worried over recent talk of an early school year start, and specifically concerned about the comments made Tuesday by Newsom.
RELATED: 6 Bay Area counties relax some shelter-in-place restrictions; here are changes starting May 4
"We are considering the prospect of an even earlier school year into the fall as early as July or early august," said the governor.
It's those words that had parents and teachers sounding off online.
When we asked for your thoughts on Facebook you reacted with hundreds of comments. So many concerned over how social distancing will be implemented.
"Hearing July kinda threw me off a little bit," said Kelly Amerlan McMahon who is a parent and teacher in Santa Rosa.
RELATED: Schools surprised by Newsom's announcement about possibly reopening campuses early
Tijerina says her classes are large and social distancing would be impossible.
"There's close to 30 students in there and we all sit so close together," she said.
Not everyone though is against the idea.
Erin Reeder lives in Richmond and her 4th grade daughter has been busy studying away on their dining room table.
"They missed the last three months of school as much as they're trying hard and studying I don't think they're really learning," Reeder said. "We have to get back to life this cannot go on for years and I don't think it's going anywhere."
McMahon believes they would have a better chance at catching up if they dropped state testing next year.
RELATED: Gov. Newsom announces 4 phases to reopen CA businesses and schools
That would give them an additional three weeks.
ABC7 News reporter J.R. Stone reached out to the major teacher's unions and districts. They gave statements but did not take a side in the matter.
San Francisco Unified did say that any change in the calendar year would have to be approved by the unions.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions