Doyle Drive construction may start soon

February 28, 2009 12:00:00 AM PST
Work to replace Doyle Drive, the main southern approach to the Golden Gate Bridge, may start sooner than first expected.

SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you

Mayor Gavin Newsom and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi say federal highway funds from President Obama's economic stimulus package will help push up the project's start date from 2010 to the summer of this year.

Doyle Drive was built the same time as the bridge in the 1930's and has badly deteriorated since then.

"It is safe to say that when you walk underneath this structure, you should be running, and when you're driving you get dispensation for going one or two miles perhaps within the margin of the speed limit to get you in and out because it is not a safe structure," Newsom said.

Caltrans says it is safe to drive on Doyle drive for the time-being, but it would not be safe in the event of an earthquake.

Construction is expected to finish in the winter of 2014. To see an animation of the project, click here.

For more information on the Doyle Drive project, visit www.doyledrive.com.

       Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget


Load Comments