One victim hospitalized after gas can explosion

June 21, 2010 12:00:00 AM PDT
A maintenance worker landed in the hospital this morning after a gas can he was using to fill a hedge trimmer exploded, according to the Petaluma Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire at around 11 a.m. at 824 Blossom Court.

They arrived to find the fire already extinguished, and one victim suffering minor burn injuries.

The fire started when vapors or liquid from a gas came in contact with the hot muffler of a hedge trimmer the victim had been trying to refill.

The victim set down the burning can, attempting to kick it away from a nearby maintenance truck. The burning gasoline spread to the roadway and burned until all of the gas had been consumed.

There was no property damage reported.

The maintenance worker suffered minor burns on one of his legs after his pants caught fire and was transported to a nearby hospital.


Load Comments