(Good for fillings and pastries; can also be served as desserts themselves)
- Dark Chocolate - 1 lb
- Butter - 9 oz
- Egg yolks- 5 oz
- Egg whites - 12 oz
- Sugar - 2.5 oz
1. Melt chocolate over bain marie
2. Remove from heat and add the butter; stir until the butter is melted and completely mixed in
3. Add/whisk the egg yolks one at a time to hot chocolate mixture; mix each yolk completely before adding the next; set aside
4. In KA, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar and beat until the egg whites form stiff but moist peaks; do not over beat!
5. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture
* Pipe or pour into bowls or sundae glasses; top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
About Chona Piumarta
She is the founder of The Pastry Cupboard, and creates desserts for restaurants and cafés. She is an established pastry chef in the Bay Area. Prior to starting her own line of desserts, Chona was the Executive Pastry Chef at The Slanted Door, LarkCreekSteak and Lulu - all in San Francisco. Chona is a graduate from the California Culinary Academy.
About Ghirardelli Square's 13th Annual Chocolate Festival
The 13th Annual Chocolate Festival, benefiting Project Open Hand, takes place September 6 - 7. The two-day chocolate extravaganza provides an opportunity to indulge in countless chocolate delicacies and desserts from renowned chocolatiers. All proceeds go to Project Open Hand, a San Francisco non-profit organization that provides meals and groceries to senior citizens and people living with serious illness. Over the past 12 years, the Ghirardelli Square Chocolate Festival has raised $448,207 for Project Open Hand.
This year, more than 35 chefs and artisans will serve decadent chocolate creations including:
- Toffeelicious Chocolate Pizza and Break-a-leg Chocolate Pizza from Amore Chocolate Pizza Company
- Chocolate Truffle Brownie with Bourbon Vanilla Ganache and Raspberry Swirl AND Dark Chocolate Brownie with Caramel and Toasted Coconut from Sweetface Bakery
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Ice Cream Sundaes
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday, September 6th & 7th, 12 noon- 5 p.m. **Hands-Free Sundae Eating Contest is 2 -3:30 p.m. on 9/6 and 2 -3 p.m. on 9/7
WHERE: Ghirardelli Square, 900 North Point Street,
COST: The 13th Annual Ghirardelli Square Chocolate Festival is free and open to the public. Chocolate Tasting tickets are $10 for 6 samplings and $20 for 15 samplings. Tasting tickets may be purchased in advance at www.GhirardelliSQ.com.