Man gets 80 years for 2006 shooting


Rolando Fernandez was convicted July 10 of two counts of second-degree murder for fatally shooting two men during a melee at the Headquarters Bar, at 895 Second Ave., on April 15, 2006.

For each count, he was sentenced to 15 years to life with an additional 25 years to life for use of the firearm, Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

Fernandez was at the bar when one of his friends got into an argument with a younger man also at the bar, Wagstaffe said. The younger man went outside and called his friends to come to the bar, and when the group arrived, "out came guns" and the shooting started, Wagstaffe said.

Prosecutors said that while Fernandez may not have started the fight, he executed two Redwood City men, Humberto Calderon Jr., 18, and Jesus Hernandez, 28. Calderon was celebrating his 18th birthday at the bar that night.

Fernandez fired around 15 rounds, stopping in the middle of the fight to load a new magazine into his gun, and shot Hernandez and Calderon in their backs, according to Wagstaffe.

Defense attorney Leland Davis III argued during the trial that Fernandez fired his gun in self-defense and that Redwood City resident Domingo Naranjo, 18, fired first.

Davis said during the trial that Fernandez began shooting after Naranjo fired the first shot, fatally striking Fernandez's friend Hemerenciano Mendoza, 38, of East Palo Alto. He said that Fernandez began firing at Naranjo to protect himself and his friends.

Naranjo was shot in the neck by Fernandez and was arrested after being found at a hospital recovering from his injury, according to the district attorney's office.

Three other men at the bar were shot and survived.

Redwood City police patrol cars were close enough to the bar to hear gunshots, and arrived in time to see Fernandez jump into his car and flee from the scene. He subsequently crashed his car and was arrested.

Naranjo was originally a codefendant with Fernandez, but pleaded no contest to one charge voluntary manslaughter and using a firearm on June 6, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's office. He was sentenced to 21 years in state prison.

Fernandez will now be sent to San Quentin State Prison for placement and will not be eligible for parole until 2086, according to Wagstaffe.

Copyright © 2024 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.