Norbert's Fondue - La Petite Echelle
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course
- 1 clove of garlic, bruised
- 7 ounces Comté cheese, aged 12 to 18 months, cut into small cubes
- 3 1/3 ounces of dry white wine (Bruce prefers Jura wine for this recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- A drop of kirsch
- 2 dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cubes of firm country bread or steamed potatoes for dipping
Rub the bruised garlic inside a fondue pot and discard. Put the cheese and the white wine into the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously. When the cheese has melted, add the baking soda and the kirsch. Continue stirring until nice and smooth then add the mushrooms and season to taste with pepper.
Serve the fondue with the bread or steamed potatoes.