Audrey Mansfield's Recipe for Mousse Au Chocolat
- 8 squares Dark Semi Sweet Chocolate
- 3 Tbs. Strong Black Coffee
- 3 Tbs. Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 Eggs, Separated
- 2 Tbs. Brandy
- Combine the chocolate and coffee in a heat proof bowl.
- Put the bowl over a saucepan half filled with hot water and set the pan over a moderate low heat.
- Cool the mixture, beating constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth.
- Beat in the butter, a few pieces at a time, and continue beating until it is thoroughly blended.
- Add the egg yolks and cook, beating constantly, for 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and is smooth. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and the bowl from the pan. Stir in the brandy and set the mixture aside for 30 minutes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs whites until they form stiff peaks. Quickly fold the eggs whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon the mousse into individual serving glasses and chill for 4 hours, or overnight.