Tips for the perfect pumpkin pie
1. Start with a great crust. It must be flakey like Marie Callender's and have the right ratio of flour to shortening.
2. Use quality pumpkin
3. The spices that you use make a huge difference. We use a high-end cinnamon (Saigon), high heat dry milk, corn starch, and pumpkin spices in our dry mix
4. Make your filling a day ahead of using it. This allows all of the ingredients to blend together and improves the flavor
5. Use ice cold water and cold, whole eggs
6. Use a rubber spatula when making the filling, and again just prior to using to stir the product. Do not use a wire whip. You do not want to add air into the filling. This could produce air bubbles, which may rise to the surface of the pie.
7. Bake the pie the day you are going to eat it to ensure freshness.
About Marie Callender's:
The legacy of Marie Callender began in 1948 in Orange County, Calif. when Marie, an accomplished baker, first launched her legendary pie business, delivering freshly baked pies to area restaurants. Marie's son, Don, opened the first pie and coffee shop in 1964 in Orange, Calif. Other pie shops soon followed and in 1969, the pie shops started serving a full service restaurant menu. What began close to 60 years ago as a small pie baking operation is today the leader in the restaurant-bakery segment, with over 125 Marie Callender's restaurants in 10 states. Marie's commitment to freshly prepared foods using only the highest quality ingredients endures to this day in the restaurants. Today, Marie Callender's serves up a wide variety of classic and traditional American foods updated with today's flavors, including their signature Pot Pies, Crisp Salads, Pasta, Fresh Fish, Burgers, Sandwiches and more. Marie Callender's is known for their famous all-you-can-enjoy Salad Bar, freshly prepared home-style soups, signature cornbread, baked fresh and served hot from the oven, and also serves a fabulous all-you-care-to-enjoy Sunday Brunch at most locations. For more information or restaurant locations, call (800) 776-7437 or visit mariecallenders.com.