Audrey Mansfield's 3 great alternatives for the classic "Little Black Dress" (LBD)
- The Vintage LBD
Vintage dress, $165
Zoe chicco gold disc earrings, $184
Audrey's advice about finding a vintage LBD:
Some of the old classic LBD's have a romantic, retro, or art deco appeal.
Think Audrey Hepburn and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for elegant dress styles.
Silhouettes from the past are the "now" of today and a Hollywood DO! Think Film Noir glamour.
- An inexpensive version from Macy's:
Dress from Calvin Klein, $118
Shoes by Calvin Klein
Bag, Calvin Klein $88
Earrings, Macy's Trend $24
Bracelet, Macy's Trend $14
Shoes by Calvin Klein, $90
For more information: www.macys.com
Audrey's advice about sprucing up a store-bought LBD:
Look for a LBD that expresses your personality.
An LBD can always look more expensive by adding some eye-catching accessories.
Emphasize your face with a great up-do, a perfect smoky eye, and red lip.
- Revamp an old LBD with this project idea from Britex:
Transform an old LBD into a chic, very au courant LBD by doing just a few simple things. Embellish a black velvet ribbon with rhinestone trim ($90 a yard- you'll need approximately 2/3 of a yard). Tie it around the dress to add sparkle and covered any holes or signs of wear.
Make ruffles from 2 yards of black cotton netting ($49 a yard). Cut it into 4-inch strips, gather the strips and sew them into rows. Ruffles are so strong this season- it really updats the dress and also covers a spot at the same time!
All materials available at Britex Fabrics.
146 Geary St.
"Revamping an old LBD" ideas from Audrey:
Add some sparkle to an otherwise ho-hum LBD
Add some hem action to add interest that changes the hem length
Change the straps and change the whole look of the neckline
- High heeled patent leather or satin pumps
- A shoe embellishment
- A tuxedo-styled jacket
- Clutch handbag with a jeweled closure
- Faux diamond stud
- A Black and White combination
- Long or Opera length Gloves
- Sparkly cuff or bracelet
- Body shapers give your LBD a smooth flawless expensive look
- A sleek yet simple up-do
- An LBD in a velvet fabric always looks rich
- Smoky well- defined eye makeup and a perfect red lip
- A halter style dress works on all figure types
- Adding a fabulous broach to the back of a backless LBD or a broach at the waist