Shrimp in Bombay Masala:
This is universal spice for fish or shrimp or any vegetables e.g. potatoes, eggplant & red potatoes, cauliflower & peas, okra with potatoes. Serve over tossed green salad with squeeze of lemon,salt and pepper.
- 1 lb. medium or large shrimp shelled and de-veined.
- 2 teaspoon of Bombay Masala
- For spicier taste add 2 Tablespoon of spice
- Sliced lemons
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
Preparation:- Heat oil in a saute pan. Add Shrimps, sprinkle little salt. Saute until shr imps are cooked, add bombay masala, saute until shrimps are coated with spice. Add sliced lemons. Saute for 30 seconds. Serve as a appetizer or serve over green salad with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Make sure you take enough oil to roast the Masala as it will release flavors.
- Add Masala to your taste. For heavy flavor add more Masala.
Brown Or Basmati Rice Pullao:
This dish is Great with Mixed vegetables or any cubed chicken. A blend of spices and Indian basmati rice to make a wonderful rice dish to complement any meal. A cup of your favorite vegetable can be added to this dish for a nutritious satisfying meal.
- 1 Pkg of Brown OR Basmati rice Pullao
- 1 cup of any vegetables
- 2 - 3 Tbsp of any vegetable or canola oil
- Chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of Rasins(Optional)
- 1/4 cup of Cashew nuts(Optional)
- 2 hard boiled eggs(Optional)
- Thinly sliced Tomatoes
Heat 2 - 3 Tbsp of oil in the=2 0pot, add 1 whole package of Pullao mix. Roast it on low fire for 30-60 seconds until all of the rice is well coated with oil. Add 1 cup of any vegetables(Peas or Mixed vegetables or cubed Red Potatoes or chopped cabbage or Red or green onions or Red/Green/Yellow peppers or chopped eggplant) & raisin & cashew nuts & chopped cilantro. Add 2 (2 1/2 for softer) cups of water. For Brown Rice add 3 1/2 cups of water. Adjust salt to taste. Bring it to boil. COVER and reduce heat to LOW. Cook until all the water is absorbed, for about 20(30-35 minutes for brown rice) minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro, Sliced tomatoes & hard boiled eggs before serving.
- Make sure you take enough oil to roast the Basmati Rice Mix as it will release flavors.
- Roast the Rice well as the cooked rice will hold great shape without being soggy and limp.
- Add other ingredients after roasting the Rice.
- If using CANNED VEGETABLE make sure it does not contain too much salt as dish may turn out to be too salty.
- If using CANNED TOMATOES for Rice Mix make sure that it does not contain vinegar or citric acid as it will make Rice Mix SOUR or TART to taste.
Add cubed hot link or Saut cubed chicken with onions, add rice mix, sauté, add any vegetables & chopped cilantro. Cook with 2 of cups of water.
MICROWAVE After this stage you can transfer it to microwave able container and cook for 15-18 minutes on high power uncovered. Make sure you take a larger container as while cooking it would need room to boil, otherwise lots of water will boil over. The exact time for cooking will depend on wattage of microwave.
Great for cubed breast of chicken. Serve as appetizer or entree or side dish served with Brown/Basmati rice pullao.
Meat marinated with Tandoori Masala can be baked, grilled or cooked on the stove top. It can be served as an appetizer or can compliment any Basmati/Brown Rice Pullao dish.
- 1 lb of boneless breast of chicken cut into 1/4" - 1/2" cubes or strips
- 1 - 2 Tbsp of Tandoori Masala
- 2 Tbsp of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 - 2 Tbsp of plain lowfat or nonfat yogurt or sour cream or 1Teaspn of lemon juice
Prepare the marinade by adding 1 - 2 Tbsp of Tandoori Masala to 1 - 2 Tbsp of plain yogurt OR 1 Tsp of lemon juice and Tbsp of water. Adjust salt and cayenne pe pper to taste. Add Chicken (if big pieces then pierce with fork) to the marinade.
Stove Top: Coat the pan with 1 - 2 Tbsp of oil. Add the marinated meat. Cook over medium heat until tender. If chicken is cut in strips or cubed you can stir fry it on Med High heat. For little sauce add more yogurt and Tandoori Masala at the time of marination. When chicken is almost ready add sliced lemon and sauté.
- Small meat pieces(1/2" strips or cubed) will be more flavorful then large pieces.
- Put the marinated chicken in the refrigerator for overnight Marination. Bring it to room temperature before cooking.
- To make RUB, just add little lemon juice to the Masala and use it as a rub.
- For little sauce, add more yogurt and Tandoori Masala.
- Can substitute Coconut milk for yogurt or any cream. It will have a little sweet taste, to balance that add little cayenne or Serrano or jalapeno pepper and lemon juice.
Dil Khush Cafe
460 South Norfolk Street (at 3rd Avenue - in the Shoreview Shopping Center)
San Mateo, CA 94402