Garlic chicken with a trio of peppers
- 1 whole chicken breast, skinned, cut to bite size pieces. Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small knob (teaspoon+) of fresh, finely minced ginger
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, finely minced
- dash of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Asian 100% pure sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of Shao Xing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium size yellow onion, peeled, sliced into thin pieces
- 6 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 each of: red, yellow, green bell peppers, cut into halves, remove membranes and seeds. Then cut peppers into 1-inch bite size pieces.
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce* optional
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water, for binding
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil* optional
- Asian 100% pure sesame oil, or pure sesame oil with chili oil, to taste
- Fresh sprigs of Chinese parsley, for garnish
About featured guests:
Shirley Fong-Torres is author of "The Woman Who Ate China Town: A San Francisco Odyssey" and Cindy Wong-Chen is the owner of the restaurant and jazz club Shanghai 1930. Shirley and Cindy have started a restaurant review website called http://marleyandro.com.
For more information on Shirley Fong-Torres and her walking tours of Chinatown go to http://www.wokwiz.com.
For more information on Cindy Wong-Chen and Shanghai 1930 go to http://www.shanghai1930.com.