Michael Soleta is one of the chosen few who will attend Michael Jackson's memorial Tuesday. He moonwalked his way out of the Bay Area Monday morning headed for Los Angeles. He has to pick up his tickets by 6 p.m. at Dodger Stadium.
"I've always wanted to go to a concert and couldn't because he passed away, so this is the last chance to pay my respects to one of the greatest performers that ever lived," Soleta said.
Soleta may have missed his opportunity to see Jackson in concert, but Tuesday's tribute will include performances by an all-star line up including Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey, John Mayer, Jennifer Hudson and more.
Out of the 1.6 million fans who registered online, hoping for a ticket, 19-year-old Soleta is one of just 8,750 chosen at random. After the shock and excitement set in, he was then forced to choose who to take along.
"It was hard but I picked my older sister because she grew up with his music more than I have because she is older," Soleta said.
David Gobaud of Palo Alto also won two tickets. When ABC7 spoke with him Monday afternoon, he said was not going to make it to Los Angeles in time and is hoping a friend can pick up the tickets for him.
But for security reasons each Jackson lottery winner has to show up in person to get his tickets -- a system designed to prevent scalping of the free passes.
An article is posted on Craigslist warning people not to buy any tickets that might be listed because they will not be able to use them. But still, throughout the day tickets have been listed on eBay for thousands of dollars.
Los Angeles police will have 2,500 officers stationed around the Staples Center for crowd control. It will cost the department $2.5 million to provide security for the event.
- Stanford student wins Jackson memorial ticket
- AEG Live footage of Jackson's last rehearsal for the "This Is It" tour on June 23
- Local Jackson photographer reminisces
- Michael Jackson in SF (From 1984)
- A look back at the life of Michael Jackson
- Reaction from music writer Ben Fong-Torres
- Jackson Tribute at NYC's Apollo
- BET Awards honor Jackson
- 'King of Pop' through the years
- Fans mourn Michael Jackson
- Jackson fans learn who won memorial tickets
- Jackson family plans private event at LA cemetery
- More than 1 million seek tix for Jackson memorial
- Diprivan found in Michael Jackson's home
- L.A. officials discuss Tuesday Jackson event
- Michael Jackson's will recently unsealed
- Fans remember Jackson at the Apollo Theater
- Family: Michael Jackson had a will
- Coroner gathers evidence at Jackson home
- Jackson's mom gets guardianship of kids
- Jackson's legacy honored at BET Awards
- Lawyer says Jackson had pulse
- Sales surge after Jackson's death
- Jackson family wants 2nd autopsy
- More behind the drug Demerol
- Michael Jackson memorabilia sells quickly
- Jackson news dominates the Internet
- 911 tape released
- Leaders, superstars, fans mourn King of Pop
- Quotes on Jackson's death