Green onion pancakes
This is a very traditional Chinese appetizer, usually eaten at breakfast or for a quick snack. It's very simple and quick to make, has minimal ingredients, is very inexpensive and is fun to make with children.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Take 1 cup of boiled water and add 1/4 cup of cold water to the hot water into a glass measuring cup.
- Add 3 cups of flour into a large bowl. Slowly pour approximately 1 cup of the hot water into the flour and stir the bowl while you pour.
- Knead until all of the flour in the bowl has joined into a dough mixture.
- Cover the ball of dough with 2 layers of moist paper towels; Leave covered for 1 hour.
- Chop the green onions.
- Place some flour on a chopping board.
- Make a ball of dough
- Use the roller to flatten the ball into a round circle. Sprinkle salt.
- Brush a thin amount of cooking oil over the circle. Then sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of chopped onion onto the dough.
- Roll the circle into a cylinder and pinch the ends so the onions won't fall out.
- Roll the cylinder along the length and tuck the outer-end into the roll.
- Use your roller to flatten it into a flat pancake.
- Repeat, makes approximately 9 pancakes.
- Separate each pancake with wax paper
- Pour ½ teaspoon of oil into a frying pan or wok and cook on low heat until the pancake turns a nice crispy brown.
- Freeze any un-cooked pancakes (will keep for one month). Just pull out of freezer and cook in frying pan (do not need to de-frost), great appetizer for un-expected guests or a quick snack.
Bamboo Garden Restaurant is located at 301 Visitacion Ave in the quiet sleepy town of Brisbane, just 10 minutes from San Francisco. It is a wonderful small knit community with lots of parent participation in the schools, city and recreation programs. The downtown does not have any big chain businesses and everything is still owned by local families.
Brisbane is called "The City of Stars" because of a holiday tradition established over 65 years ago. At the start of the Christmas/Hanukkah season, many residents and business owners placed large, illuminated stars which can be seen off the 101 Freeway.
Address: 301 Visitacion Ave
Brisbane CA 94005
Seats 100 People
Hours: M-W 11am-9pm, TH-Sat 11am-9:30pm Closed Sundays
About Shan-Shan Chen
Shan-Shan Chen opened up "Bamboo Garden" Restaurant 6 years ago. Her family has owned and operated many Chinese Restaurants in the bay area for the past 30 years. The family recipes have been passed down through generations and everything is made fresh and to order. As a working mother of two, it is very important for Shan-Shan to pass down her families Chinese traditions and recipes to her children.
Shan-Shan is currently working on a series of "Come Cooking with Mei-Mei" children's story books that incorporate Chinese cooking along with telling a story about a Chinese tradition to make cooking easy and educational for children.
More recipes on Shan-Shan's blog: cookingwithshan.blogspot.com