Barbecued Moreton Bay Bug and Rocket Salad, Mango Salsa
- 8 Moreton Bay bug tails*
- Murray River Salt
- Cobram Estate EVOO
- 1 ripe mango (it must have an aroma and be tender to touch), diced
- ½ cup diced Persian or English cucumber
- 1 heirloom tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek style yogurt (optional)
- 2 large handfuls arugula leaves ("rocket" in Australian)
- 1 head frisee, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamias
- Brush the bugs with olive oil and season to taste. Set aside, while you preheat the grill.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use - the flavor will develop if left for 1 hour.
- Place the arugula and frissee together in a bowl. Just before serving, toss with the oil, lemon and macadamias.
- Grill the tails for 3-4 minutes each side or until just golden.
- Serve over the leaves and spoon the salsa over the top.
- Enjoy with a crisp Australian white!
Wine Suggestions: Xanadu Sauvignon Blanc Semillon from Western Australia's Margaret River Brokenwood Semillon from the Hunter Valley, just outside of Sydney.
Group cooking classes with Sally James are now being incorporated into programs at Villagio Inn and Spa where this segment was filmed. Contact Steven Andrews at (707) 948-5084 or visit www.villagio.com for more information.
Ingredients used in this recipe can be found a specialty stores in the Bay Area and at Andronico's supermarkets.
For this recipe and more great Aussie BBQ ideas, visit http://www.australianmade.us.