Sprinkles Spice Cupcakes
Makes one dozen cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, the baking soda, the spices and salt.
- In another bowl combine the molasses and milk.
- With an electric mixer cream together the butter and the granulated sugar, beat in the eggs, and beat in the flour mixture alternately with the molasses mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide the batter among 12 paper-lined cupcake tin and bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes, or until it springs back when lightly touched.
- Turn the cupcakes out onto a rack and let them cool completely.
- 8 oz cold cream cheese
- 4 oz unsalted butter, still firm but not cold
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 pound + 2 T powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- If you like, add eggnog to taste
- Blend cream cheese, butter and salt until smooth and creamy. With mixer on low gradually add powdered sugar until incorporated. Gradually add vanilla (and eggnog) and mix just until incorporated.
- Do not over-mix or mix on high speed because it will incorporate too much air. The frosting consistency should be creamy and dense, like ice cream.