He and his wife Nancy are accused of abducting Jaycee-- and keeping her captive for 18 years.
In the letter, it appears Phillip Garrido still sees himself as Dugard's protector. The rambling letter was addressed to a local Sacramento-area television station and it was postmarked September 29th and received on Wednesday.
It came from the El Dorado County jail where Garrido is being held on bail and addressed to attorneys at KCRA TV. It appears to be authentic and it expresses concern that an attorney is not present during Jaycee Dugard's questioning.
In the letter, Garrido wrote: "JC Dugard's free speech rights are being violated. Please consider this request to contact her at your earliest possible date."
He also added: "Her two children were witnessing the same treatment for them as well."
Garrido is still being held on $30 million bail for charges related to the 1991 kidnapping and rape of then 12-year-old Dugard. She surfaced in August with two children, police say, were fathered by Garrido.
KCRA spoke to Jaycee Dugard's stepfather, who on Wednesday said the letter is 'stupid' and it was Garrido who violated her civil rights a long time ago.
- PHOTOS: Inside the Garrido home
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Witness talks about Michaela Garecht kidnapping
- Garrido's 1976 Reno rape police report (88 pages)
- Phillip Garrido's criminal history timeline (2 pages)
- LINK: FBI podcast about solving Dugard's case
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
- RAW VIDEO: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Phillip Garrido Jailhouse interview
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather
- Massive search at Garrido home ends
- Investigators dig for clues at Phillip Garrido's property
- Cadaver dogs point to spot on Garrido property
- Sole witness recalls Michaela Garecht kidnapping 20 years later
- Garrido home searched in separate high-profile abductions
- Jaycee's aunt: "We laughed and cried together"
- Police believe Garrido kidnapped girl in 1972
- Old police records foreshadow kidnappings
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to GMA
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
Mailing address (for cards and letters)
c/o McGregor Scott, Esq.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
400 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814