About Alicia Silverstone:
Alicia Silverstone is an actress who has appeared in numerous film, television, and theater roles. A dynamic fixture in Hollywood and beyond, she is a dedicated advocate on behalf of the planet and its animals, and was voted "Sexiest Vegetarian Alive" in 2004. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Christopher, and their four rescued dogs.
Long before it was cool to "be green," critically acclaimed and much-beloved actress Alicia Silverstone came forward as a passionate and vocal advocate for environmental causes. In her new book, THE KIND DIET: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet, Alicia reveals how eating a plant-based diet will give you tons of energy, mental clarity, gorgeous skin and a renewed zest for life. Plus, it's one of the greenest things you can do. Because it requires less fuel, water, and other resources, following a plant-based diet is a major contribution toward improving the health of our planet.
Buy the book on Amazon: The Kind Diet
Alicia's Pantry Must-Haves for going Vegan (most items can be purchased at Whole Foods Market)
- Earth Balance Butter
- Ume Vinegar
- . Brown Rice Syrup
- Uncle Eddie's Vegan Cookies (PB Choco Chip or Molasses) and/or Newmans Own vegan
- Bacon: Light Life (smokey tempeh strips or smart bacon)
- Nori Sheets
- Sausage: Field Roast Smoked Apple Turkey
Alicia's recipes featured on the show:
Serves 6 to 8
For the Croutons:
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3-4 slices whole wheat sourdough bread, sliced into cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Olive oil
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons blanched or roasted almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons shoyu
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 sheet nori, cut with scissors into 2" x 4" strips
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Stir together the rosemary, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl. Place the bread cubes in a large bowl, and drizzle with the oil. Toss well to distribute the oil. Sprinkle the herb mixture over the bread cubes, and toss again. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the croutons are dry and lightly toasted. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, combine the almonds, garlic, mustard, shoyu, tahini, lemon juice, oil, and 1?4 cup of water in a food processor or blender; process until smooth and well blended. To serve, toss the lettuce and croutons together in a serving bowl.
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced vegan chorizo or taco crumbles
- 4-6 corn tortillas, soft or hard as you prefer
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Prepared salsa
- 1 cup tofu sour cream or Tofu Cream
- 2/3 cup shredded vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Hot sauce (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo or taco crumbles and cook, stirring until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. If using soft tortillas, wrap in a slightly damp kitchen towel and heat in a 350°F oven or toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm and pliable. (Hard taco shells don't need to be heated.) Arrange the onions, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, tofu sour cream or Tofu Cream, and cheese in small bowls alongside the chorizo. Pass around the tortillas so everyone can fi ll their own tacos and add hot sauce to taste.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
- 1/4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
- 1/4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. ("If You Care" makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.) Set aside.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well. Remove the mixture from the heat. Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffi n cups. Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture. Top with chopped nuts. Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving.