The fire department received a call at about 6 a.m. reporting smoke pouring out of a manhole at Battery and Pine streets, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. Fire crews responded but turned the incident over to PG&E since there was no actual fire, she said.
PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said an underground power cable had failed, causing the smoke. No customers lost power, and utility crews are working at the intersection to repair the cable.
The intersection is open, although crews may be working in one lane on Battery Street, Molica said.